fbpx

5 Plants That Are Dangerous to Pets

Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email

You see them frolicking about in the backyard – so confident, so carefree, so full of the energy you’d kill to have. Tongues hanging out and wild look in its eye, your dog, cat, chimpanzee, etc. is ready for anything, except maybe the plants in your garden or along your fence. Beware of these seemingly harmless plants because they can actually be toxic to dogs and cats:

Dahlia
These colorful beauties aren’t fatal, but they can still make your pet ill if ingested. Signs include mild gastrointestinal problems and mild dermatitis.

Geraniums
Keep this popular spring flower out of your pet’s reach. Signs that your cat or dog has eaten a geranium include vomiting, anorexia, depression, and dermatitis.

Yucca
Although this plant is mostly seen on the eastern plains, it still pops up here and there in northern Colorado. Dogs and cats that have ingested yucca initially have vomiting and diarrhea. This plant can lead to more serious problems such as liver disease or secondary photosensitivity.

Daffodils
Those of you who planted daffodils last fall are most likely beginning to see them bloom. Make sure your pets steer clear of these flowers because they can cause vomiting, salvation and diarrhea, and even convulsions, low blood pressure, tremors and cardiac arrhythmias if consumed in large amounts. Important note: the bulbs are the most dangerous part.

Baby’s Breath
This one might be the easiest to keep out of pets’ reach because you most often find them paired with indoor flower arrangements and prom boutonnieres, rather than in your garden. Signs of ingestion include vomiting and diarrhea.

Plus, although gorgeous, lilies (especially Easter Lilies) are toxic to our feline friends. There are benign and dangerous lilies out there, so check with the pet poison helpline to distinguish the difference.

You get defensive any time someone claims your pet is not really your baby, so make sure you’re being that protective against the plants they come in contact with. And of course, should your pet consume any of these plants, call your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 immediately.

Source: ASPCA


Other great tips: 

Sign Up For Our Landscaping Newsletter

More To Explore